Summer is in full swing! The beaches are getting packed and everyone’s showing a little more skin, but the sweltering heat is still too much to handle. Fear not! We have just the thing to keep you cool through summer. Reap the benefits from strawberry season and make Chef April Bloomfield’s strawberry sorbet to battle the sun’s rays.
- 3 to 4 pounds strawberries, hulled
- 2 to 4 lemons
- 4 to 6 cups caster sugar, depending on sweetness of berries
- Good quality aged balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- Place strawberries and 2 of the chopped lemons into the bowl of a food processor (remove the lemon seeds but no need to remove the pith). Roughly blitz until strawberries and lemons start to break down.
- Add a few large tablespoons of sugar and pulse again until berries are smoother and sugar is well combined. Taste and see if it needs more sugar or lemon, depending on preference; the flavor of the lemon should be intense but not overpower the strawberries.
- Once the flavor is right and the consistency is smooth, add a small handful of fresh basil leaves. Give one final blitz and then pour purée into an ice cream machine and churn until frozen.
- Garnish a few scoops with fresh basil leaves, a tiny drizzle of balsamic vinegar, and an even tinier drizzle of olive oil.