In Argentina, Chef Francis Mallmann is the master of fire. All of his cooking, his methods and life can be traced back to the rudimentary nature of fire. In this clip, Francis brings Chef Edward Lee back to the basics, teaching him seven techniques that can cook just about anything.
The Seven Fires
1. Parilla – A barbecue set over hot coals.
2. Chapa – Cooking on a cast iron grill
3. Horno de Barro – The wood oven
4. Caldero – The calderon, cooking in a cast iron kettle
5. Rescoldo – Cooking in ashes, especially vegetables
6. Infiernillo – “Little Hell,” cooking in between 2 fires so you have heat from both sides.
7. Asador – The “Iron Cross,” cooking things standings & overlooking a fire.