RECIPE FOR HUSK CHEESEBURGER
Makes 10 burgers
- 1 3/4 cups mayonnaise, preferably Duke’s
- 1 1/4 cups yellow mustard
- 5 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 cup Bread-and-Butter pickles, drained and cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeños, drained and cut into 1/8-inch dice
- grated zest (use a Microplane) and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Husk hot sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons pepper vinegar, preferably Texas Pete brand
- 1 (3-pound) fresh boneless chuck roast
- 12 ounces fresh flank steak
- 3 ounces bacon, preferably Benton’s
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 10 burger buns, preferably potato rolls
- 1 cup white onion, shaved
- 20 slices American cheese
- 50 Bread-and-Butter pickles
For the sauce:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large container and stir together to blend well.
- Cover and refrigerate. (Tightly covered, the sauce will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.)
For the cheeseburgers:
- Grind the chuck, flank steak and bacon through a meat grinder fitted with the large die into a bowl.
- Mix gently to combine.
- Then run half of the mixture through the small die. Mix the two together.
- Portion the meat mixture into twenty 3-ounce patties, about 1/2-inch thick (each burger gets 2 patties).
- If not cooking right away, arrange on a baking sheet, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate. (The patties can be refrigerated for up to 1 day. Remove from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before you’re ready to cook; it’s important that the patties are not ice-cold when they hit the hot pan.)
- Generously butter the tops and bottoms of the buns.
- Toast on a griddle until nice and golden brown. Reserve.
- Heat two 12-inch cast-iron skillets until as hot as possible.
- Divide the patties between the two hot pans.
- When the patties are nice and charred, about 2 minutes, flip them over and cook for 2 minutes more for medium.
- Place the onion slices on 10 of the patties.
- Place a slice of the cheese on all of the patties and allow it to melt, about 30 seconds.
- Stack the non-onion patties on top of the onion patties. Remove from the heat.
- Smear both sides of the buns with special sauce.
- Place 5 pickles on the bottom half of each bun. Add the burger patties and top with the top halves of the buns. Serve at once.